What Is Inpatient Drug Detox?
When the body can no longer function without the drugs to which it got addicted then we may call that as an end stage addiction. The dependence of the body on drugs has reached a stage where the patient looks only for the next fix. At this stage to address each and every aspect of addiction needs complete care, time, consistency, necessary infrastructure and support. Inpatient drug detox is the foremost level of care in addiction treatment at the end stage. In patients who are addicts are closely and medically monitored on a daily basis in a hospital. A complete inpatient treatment center lays a concrete foundation for recovery after successful completion of detox.
Salient features of inpatient drug detox include:
- Close monitoring and Physician assessment of the patients.
- Checking and monitoring of vital signs
- Regular doses of detoxing and medications
- Initiation into sober living and relapse prevention
- Conveying the importance of aftercare to avoid risk of relapse
Inpatient drug rehabilitation is always recommended before being a part of a residential treatment center.
What Drugs Require Detox?
Alcohol and opioids require detox and the medications are similar: Buprenophex, certain benzodiazepines and anticonvulsant medications. Medical management of alcohol and drug withdrawal during detox is not sufficient to produce sustained abstinence. This is the main reason for a need to provide further addiction treatments to prevent relapse following withdrawal of treatment. In fact drug detox can only prepare the addict for rehab and treatment.
Common Withdrawal Symptoms
Withdrawal symptoms are of two kinds: physical and psychological.
Physical symptoms include: palpitations, increased blood pressure, sweating, cramps, nausea and vomiting, insomnia, fever and seizures. Psychological symptoms include: depression, anxiety, nervousness, and mood swings.
Benefit of detoxing before entering drug rehab.
Going to a drug detox center before enrolling into a drug rehab facility is the preferred sequence to follow especially when you have a serious addiction that requires detox.
Some of the benefits of detoxing before entering drug rehab:
- It will help you if you are unable to stop the use of drug on your own.
- If you are unable to handle the withdrawal symptoms.
- Detoxification will help with the physical addiction issues.
- Once detoxed you will sober up and there is every chance you will enter a rehab facility.
- Stopping some drugs can be fatal and a detox center can wean you off the drug.
- Detox centers may use prescription medications to stop you from using the substance.
- Structured environment plays a great role in cutting down the chances of relapse.
- Detox at home is dangerous and stressful whereas detoxing in a facility is safe and effective.